Past Events

1940    The Society develops an archival collection of Western   Pennsylvania Catholic historical manuscripts and artifacts at Duquesne University

August 10, 1941   Society initiates tours to historic Catholic sites in Western Pennsylvania

1941   Society inaugurates lectures to junior and senior high school students on Catholic and local history

August 1942   Society begins addresses on Radio Station KDKA

March 1943   Society expands radio addresses to Stations WWSW and WJAS

1943   Society conducts Writing Contest for Pittsburgh diocesan high school students

Oct. 14, 1943   Society publishes history of Diocese of Pittsburgh: Catholic Pittsburgh’s 100 Years 1843-1843

October 25, 1943   Society installs a gift commemorating the six bishops of Pittsburgh in the diocese’s first century: a bronze Memorial Plaque at Synod Hall in Oakland

March 20, 1944   Society’s President dedicates the Bishops’ Memorial Plaque at Synod Hall

March 15, 1945   Society supports formation of “Historical Honor Society” for Catholic high school students

1950   Society finances the microfilming of all issues (1844-to date) of The Pittsburgh Catholic, official newspaper of the Diocese of Pittsburgh

Oct. 8, 1950   Pittsburgh Coadjutor Bishop John F. Dearden blesses and dedicates the Archives of the Society at Duquesne University Library

Nov. 1, 1950   Society dedicates statue of Blessed Virgin, on the parapet of St. Mary of Mercy Church at “the Point” to Mary under her title of the Assumption – in connection with the papal declaration of the Dogma of the Assumption that same day

Sept. 26-Oct. 3, 1952   Society displays ancient Bibles and related manuscripts in the Farmers Bank Building (Downtown Pittsburgh) to observe “National Catholic Bible Week” — with a radio address on station WWSW

April 1954    Society conducts Essay Contest in Catholic grade schools, high schools, and colleges

April 30, 1954   Society conducts an Academic Convocation at Synod Hall to observe 200th anniversary of First Mass at the “Point” by French chaplain Fr. Denys Baron

April 30, 1954   Society presents an original painting of the First Mass in 1754 to Bishop Dearden

1954   Society reprints Msgr. Andrew Lambing’s 1885 publication (and translation) of The Baptismal Register of Fort Duquesne, penned by Fr. Denys Baron

April 21, 1955   Society inaugurates an annual Msgr. Andrew Arnold Lambing Lecture

October 1956   Society resumes Catholic history tours

May 27, 1958   Society initiates indexing of The Pittsburgh Catholic to assist in local Catholic history research

1959   Society publishes From the Point to the Present in honor of the Bicentennial of the City of Pittsburgh

Jan.-Feb. 1985   Society President Fr. Hrico arranges published interviews in secular Pittsburgh newspapers announcing reactivation of Society

June 8 & Nov. 16, 1985   Society conducts Oral History Workshops to train participants in audiotape interviews of prominent local Catholics (which continue until 1995)

1986-to date   Society initiates publication of Gathered Fragments (the Society’s historical journal)

June 16 & 23, 1986   Society discusses local Catholic history during appearances on Pittsburgh Auxiliary Bishop Anthony Bosco’s TV program on Channel 9

April 18, 1993   Society participates in Joint Sesquicentennial Program with the Religious of the Diocese of Pittsburgh to celebrate the 150th anniversary of establishment of the diocese

April 1993   Society initiates speakers’ program at parishes

Oct. 15, 1993   Society participates in Duquesne University’s 27th Annual History Forum presenting a session on “The Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh: The Last 150 Years”

Nov. 25, 1993   Society files Articles of Incorporation with the Pennsylvania Department of State in Harrisburg as a non-profit corporation; Society thereafter listed in The Official Catholic Directory as tax exempt under Sec. 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code

April 20, 1996   Pittsburgh Auxiliary Bishop William J. Winter rededicates the Archives of the Society at Duquesne University’s new Gumberg Library

June 1996   Society co-sponsors a lecture with Catholic Physicians Guild

Feb.-April 1997   Society undertakes three Catholic history tours

March 23, 1998   Society co-sponsors a lecture with Duquesne University

Nov. 22, 1998   Society sponsors Memorial Mass for deceased President, Msgr. Francis A. Glenn, at St. Mary of Mercy Church at “the Point”

August 2002   Society publishes Rev. Ivan Mina’s work: The Ruthenian Catholic Church

March 29, 2003   Three Society Board Members deliver papers at a panel session of the American Catholic Historical Association’s Spring Meeting at University of Scranton, entitled “An Overview of Pittsburgh Catholic History”

2004-2006   Society provides lecturers for 3-year lead-up to centennial of St. Paul Cathedral

Spring 2004   Society conducts Msgr. Francis Glenn Essay Contest for Catholic high school students

April 17, 2005   Society sponsors Memorial Mass for deceased Board member Fr. David J. Kriss at Holy Spirit Byzantine Catholic Church in Oakland

Fall 2005   Society introduces Msgr. Francis A. Glenn Lecture each Fall

2005   Society opens its website at www.catholichistorywpa.org

2006 Society conducts final Msgr. Glenn Essay Contest for Catholic high school students

2006   Archival Finding Aid created at Duquesne University’s Gumberg Library: An Inventory of the Records and Collections of the Catholic Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania

2008   Duquesne University begins digitization of Society’s microfilmed Pittsburgh Catholic

2008   Society receives competitive grant from Our Sunday Visitor for planned Catholic Writers Dinner

Fall 2008   Gathered Fragments goes to glossy journal format

April 25, 2009   Society sponsors Catholic Writers Dinner in Power Center Ballroom of Duquesne University

2010   St. Paul Seminary forms a History Society following dinner with Society’s Board

2010   Society makes financial contribution to Captain Michael McGuire Memorial Park at St. Francis University in Loretto (Cambria County)

2013   Society’s Gathered Fragments introduces “Roman Correspondents” (Pittsburgh seminarians at Pontifical North American College in Rome)

May 2014   Society and Duquesne University execute a custodial agreement with respect to the Society’s Archives at Gumberg Library