General Timeline of the History of

The Catholic Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania

1940 The Society develops an archival collection of Western Pennsylvania Catholic historical manuscripts and artifacts at Duquesne University


August 10, 1941 Society initiates tours to historic Catholic sites in Western Pennsylvania

1941 Society inaugurates lectures to junior and senior high school students on Catholic and local history August 1942 Society begins addresses on Radio Station KDKA


March 1943 Society expands radio addresses to Stations WWSW and WJAS

1943 Society conducts Writing Contest for Pittsburgh diocesan high school students

Oct. 14, 1943 Society publishes history of Diocese of Pittsburgh: Catholic Pittsburgh’s 100 Years

1843-1843 October 25, 1943 Society installs a gift commemorating the six bishops of Pittsburgh in the diocese’s first century: a bronze Memorial Plaque at Synod Hall in Oakland


March 20, 1944 Society’s President dedicates the Bishops’ Memorial Plaque at Synod Hall


March 15, 1945 Society supports formation of “Historical Honor Society” for Catholic high school students


1950 Society finances the microfilming of all issues (1844-to date) of The Pittsburgh Catholic, official newspaper of the Diocese of Pittsburgh

Oct. 8, 1950 Pittsburgh Coadjutor Bishop John F. Dearden blesses and dedicates the Archives of the Society at Duquesne University Library

Nov. 1, 1950 Society dedicates statue of Blessed Virgin, on the parapet of St. Mary of Mercy Church at “the Point” to Mary under her title of the Assumption – in connection with the papal declaration of the Dogma of the Assumption that same day


Sept. 26-Oct. 3, 1952 Society displays ancient Bibles and related manuscripts in the Farmers Bank Building (Downtown Pittsburgh) to observe “National Catholic Bible Week” — with a radio address on station WWSW


April 1954 Society conducts Essay Contest in Catholic grade schools, high schools, and colleges

April 30, 1954 Society conducts an Academic Convocation at Synod Hall to observe 200th anniversary of First Mass at the “Point” by French chaplain Fr. Denys Baron

April 30, 1954 Society presents an original painting of the First Mass in 1754 to Bishop Dearden 1954 Society reprints Msgr. Andrew Lambing’s 1885 publication (and translation) of The Baptismal Register of Fort Duquesne, penned by Fr. Denys Baron


April 21, 1955 Society inaugurates an annual Msgr. Andrew Arnold Lambing Lecture


October 1956 Society resumes Catholic history tours


May 27, 1958 Society initiates indexing of The Pittsburgh Catholic to assist in local Catholic history research 1959 Society publishes From the Point to the Present in honor of the Bicentennial of the City of Pittsburgh


Jan.-Feb. 1985 Society President Fr. Hrico arranges published interviews in secular Pittsburgh newspapers announcing reactivation of Society

June 8 & Nov. 16, 1985 Society conducts Oral History Workshops to train participants in audiotape interviews of prominent local Catholics (which continue until 1995) 1986-to date Society initiates publication of Gathered Fragments (the Society’s historical journal)


June 16 & 23, 1986 Society discusses local Catholic history during appearances on Pittsburgh Auxiliary Bishop Anthony Bosco’s TV program on Channel 9


April 18, 1993 Society participates in Joint Sesquicentennial Program with the Religious of the Diocese of Pittsburgh to celebrate the 150th anniversary of establishment of the diocese

April 1993 Society initiates speakers’ program at parishes

Oct. 15, 1993 Society participates in Duquesne University’s 27th Annual History Forum presenting a session on “The Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh: The Last 150 Years”

Nov. 25, 1993 Society files Articles of Incorporation with the Pennsylvania Department of State in Harrisburg as a non-profit corporation; Society thereafter listed in The Official Catholic Directory as tax exempt under Sec. 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code


April 20, 1996 Pittsburgh Auxiliary Bishop William J. Winter rededicates the Archives of the Society at Duquesne University’s new Gumberg Library

June 1996 Society co-sponsors a lecture with Catholic Physicians Guild


Feb.-April 1997 Society undertakes three Catholic history tours


March 23, 1998 Society co-sponsors a lecture with Duquesne University


Nov. 22, 1998 Society sponsors Memorial Mass for deceased President, Msgr. Francis A. Glenn, at St. Mary of Mercy Church at “the Point”


August 2002 Society publishes Rev. Ivan Mina’s work: The Ruthenian Catholic Church


March 29, 2003 Three Society Board Members deliver papers at a panel session of the American Catholic Historical Association’s Spring Meeting at University of Scranton, entitled “An Overview of Pittsburgh Catholic History”


2004-2006 Society provides lecturers for 3-year lead-up to centennial of St. Paul Cathedral

Spring 2004 Society conducts Msgr. Francis Glenn Essay Contest for Catholic high school students


April 17, 2005 Society sponsors Memorial Mass for deceased Board member Fr. David J. Kriss at Holy Spirit Byzantine Catholic Church in Oakland

Fall 2005 Society introduces Msgr. Francis A. Glenn Lecture each Fall

2005 Society opens its website at www.catholichistorywpa.org


2006 Society conducts final Msgr. Glenn Essay Contest for Catholic high school students

2006 Archival Finding Aid created at Duquesne University’s Gumberg Library: An Inventory of the Records and Collections of the Catholic Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania


2008 Duquesne University begins digitization of Society’s microfilmed Pittsburgh Catholic

2008 Society receives competitive grant from Our Sunday Visitor for planned Catholic Writers Dinner Fall

2008 Gathered Fragments goes to glossy journal format


April 25, 2009 Society sponsors Catholic Writers Dinner in Power Center Ballroom of Duquesne University


2010 St. Paul Seminary forms a History Society following dinner with Society’s Board

2010 Society makes financial contribution to Captain Michael McGuire Memorial Park at St. Francis University in Loretto (Cambria County)


2013 Society’s Gathered Fragments introduces “Roman Correspondents” (Pittsburgh seminarians at Pontifical North American College in Rome)


May 2014 Society and Duquesne University execute a custodial agreement with respect to the Society’s Archives at Gumberg Library